Thursday, January 4, 2018

Eldritch Tales: The Long Overdue Update...

Greetings Friends!
I know many of you have been wondering about the status of Eldritch Tales: Lovecraftian White Box RPG and, rest assured, I continue to plug away at this. I had almost no time to work on the game over the summer and my progress was at a snail's pace due to real life. Allow me to inform you all on the progress that has been made.

Though summer was rough for me, during that time several groups playtested the game and sent me great feedback, questions, and suggestions. I added bits here and there and clarified other areas and overall the game has come together nicely. I am still working on some writing bits, but nothing too time-consuming.

Tim Snider has completed a first editing pass (back in August) and I have made all the changes he suggested. I have decided not to do the layout myself...I feel like it would take me far too long and would result in an inferior product. That wouldn't be acceptable to me, and I'm not going to let you down that way. So, I have been in talks with Thomas Novosel who has agreed to tackle the project.

Finally, for the most exciting news... since about September I have been focusing hard on art production and I've contracted two artists to help on that front. Many of you will know Del Teigeler's work from various OSR projects including many from North Wind Adventures, including the recent second printing of Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea and my own Beyond the Ice-Fall. Del is a great fellow to work with and has been doing some fantastic work, visit his art blog! Here is a great piece he has finished for Eldritch Tales...


Our second artist is Kurt Komoda, a name new to the OSR, though his work can be seen in Fate Core, The Dresden Files, Torchbearer, Firefly, and other RPGs. I came across Kurt's work on DeviantArt and first contacted him more than a year ago now. I recommend that anyone reading this visit his portfolio and blog - you will see some astonishing work. Kurt approaches each new piece with an unbelievable exactitude, researching Lovecraft's stories for every clue concerning the description of whatever creature he is drawing. Below you can see his take on the Elder Things of Antarctica...


In addition to these true professionals, I am doing quite a bit of art myself - mostly spot art for equipment, vehicles, weapons, and the like, though I've done a few adversaries as well, such as the vampire below. To round out all of this art, I'll grab a few pieces of stock art as filler.


Once art is completed and I have finalized the text, layout will begin and should take up to 3 months. The finished book will have approximately 70 pieces of original art and come in around 200 pages.

That's all for now, best to all in the new year!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update! Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to read the update, Joe! Are you planning to attend GaryCon this year, by chance?

    Allan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Allan! Not this year, unfortunately. I'm hoping for next year!

      Delete
  3. Very intrigued by this. Too bad you won't be at Garycon, as I'd love to chat with you about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forrest, happy to hear that you are interested! If you'd like to chat, feel free to drop me an email, or PM on G+.
      Cheers!

      Delete